The Old Amtsvogtei
The Old Amtsvogtei in Papenstraße 15 was built by the then bailiff, Christoph Heinrich Oelker, in 1824 as his residence and office.
In 1880, the ‘Association of Emsbüren Training Schools’ acquired the property and used it as a teacher's residence. From 1884 to 1917, the Emsbüren head teacher and local researcher, Joseph Tiesmeyer, lived in the house, after which it continued to be used as a teacher's residence.
During the 1950s, the Henke family of teachers bought the house and sold it to the municipality of Emsbüren.
Following extensive renovation and financial support from many donors, the building has been used as a tourist information office by VVV Emsbüren Touristik since the end of 2008. It was officially opened in April 2009.
Monday–Thursday from 9.30 a.m. –4.30 p.m. and Friday from 9.30 a.m. –12.30 p.m.
Tel. 05903 935758
Fax: 05903 935761
The building also houses a historical workshop belonging to the Kirchspiel Emsbüren local history society and a historic wedding chamber of the municipality of Emsbüren.
Heimathof Emsbüren folk museum
In 1974 the Kirchspiel Emsbüren local history society started reconstructing an old farmstead dating back to 1766 on the so-called legendary ‘Galgenberg’, a former execution site, with the aim of preserving the old customs, traditions and buildings.
There are now eight old half-timbered houses here on the southern outskirts of Emsbüren, which have been faithfully reconstructed and equipped with old farming tools. They reflect a part of local history which is typical of this region and of the living conditions of the rural population of that time.
It is possible to visit the grounds of the Heimathof at any time for free.
On the annual ‘Europäischen Denksmalstag’ in September, all the buildings including the adjacent medicinal herb garden are also open to the public. Groups are also welcome to visit and can choose from an extensive range of options.
Medicinal herb garden
In 2002 an approx. 2,000 m2 medicinal herb garden was also planted on the southern slope of the ‘Heimathof’. A total of 200 different medicinal plants, shrubs and trees were planted here, all bearing signs in German and Dutch.
The herbs are divided according to medical areas, in order to ensure a clear and simple lay-out of the garden. The areas are physically separated by yew hedges and attractive borders of roses, grasses and perennials.
You will be delighted by the ever-changing blaze of colour during the summer months. In the centre of the garden is a viper’s bugloss sculpture made of Bentheimer sandstone – excavated in Gildehaus – and created by an Emsbüren artist.
The medicinal herb garden can be used as a ‘nature education centre’, particularly for school children and other groups. A barn at the entrance to the garden has been set up as a seminar and training room and equipped with TV, video, DVD, medicinal herb garden plan, whiteboards, magnifying glasses and a small specialist library.
The medicinal herb garden is open from 2 to 6 p.m. on Sundays from May to October. Admission for adults is: €2 per person, for under 18s: 50¢ per person and children under 12 go free.
For more offers, please visit: www.heimatverein-emsbueren.de
The historic rectory garden in Emsbüren has a large number of rare trees and shrubs dating back over 150 years. More than 200 different types lend the garden national significance.
A visit to the rectory garden during the rhododendron season is particularly special. One Sunday in May every year, the Emsbüren tourist guides provide free guided tours (see local press for details). At other times, visits are only possible as part of a guided tour. Bookings via the Tourist Information Centre, telephone: 05903/93 57 58
St. Andreas church
The Catholic St. Andreas church and its 78 m-high tower made of Bentheimer sandstone was first occupied by imperial charter in 819 as a district church in Saxlinga, and dominates the local Emsbüren landscape. An artistically decorated Romanesque gate (12th century) has been preserved on the south side of the church – the oldest stone testimony of the Christian era in Emsbüren.
Since the 15th century, the church has been converted in several stages into a Gothic three-naved hall church. Inside the church, a Romanesque baptismal font made of Bentheimer sandstone and neo-Gothic carved altars can be admired.
Guided tours can be booked via the Tourist Information Office, telephone: 05903/93 57 58
St. Marien, Listrup
The Catholic St. Marien church in the Listrup district, which could only be built thanks to the dedication of former residents, was consecrated in 1883. Some years later, the church was given its tower and bells. On the inside, the church is embellished by an artistically valuable statue of the Virgin Mary and stained-glass windows.
St. Johannes d.T., Elbergen
The Catholic St. Johannes des Täufers church was built in the Elbergen district around 1500. The wooden tower was replaced by a stone tower in 1746. A Baroque wooden statue of Saint John the Baptist is particularly noteworthy. The interior design is neo-Gothic. The oldest bell dates back to 1462.
Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
The Church of the Redeemer built in 1952 is one of the makeshift churches designed by the architect Otto Bartning, and this is one of the smallest examples, the so-called Diaspora chapels. These were built based on the same blueprint using element construction at around 40 locations in Germany. These churches needed to be built as a result of the influx of displaced persons in predominantly Catholic areas. The Leschede Church of the Redeemer followed Bartning's plan almost rigidly and is therefore a listed building. What's special about the architecture is that it can be used for a variety of purposes. So the altar niches can be closed and the body of the church opened up to create a communal space using folding partitions.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer was consecrated on the 1st Advent Sunday of 1952 following a two-month construction phase. Up until 1945 very few Lutherans had lived in the church's current parish. After the Second World War, approximately 1,000 refugees and displaced persons came to Emsbüren. Around 1,100 Evangelical Lutherans now live in Emsbüren. Despite is simple construction, the inside of the church has a special atmosphere, due to the use of lots of wood.
The church was extended to include a bell tower in 1999 and a youth and community centre in 2002. Guided tours can be booked via the Tourist Information Office, telephone: 05903/93 57 58
The Catholic St. Katharina chapel was founded by a married couple in 1683. It originally stood at Napoleondamm and was moved 200 m in 1971 to make way for a neighbouring car park. The wooden crucifixion group inside was faithfully reproduced and assembled in 1994. For security reasons, the original dating back to 1684 is kept in Emsland's Lingen museum, where it can be viewed.
‘Duke’ and his ‘Sidekick’
Life-size bronze figures of the ‘Duke’ and his ‘Sidekick’ have adorned a fountain in Emsbüren Marktplatz since 1994.
The figures originate from a picaresque novel by Bernd Bücker from Salzbergen, in which the ‘Duke’ travelled through Emsland as a peddler accompanied by his ‘Sidekick’, often lingering and having fun in ‘Büren’ (Emsbüren).
The Emsbüren Kespel carnival association (Kirchspiel Emsbüren) has chosen these roguish figures to be part of its annually changing entourage since 1984, making them famous far beyond the town's boundaries.
Pastor sine Koh
In June 2004 the bronze ‘Pastor sine Koh’ sculpture was erected in the centre of Emsbüren.
Everyone has probably heard of dat Leed van Pastor sine Koh, which is said to have originated in Emsbüren. The story goes that one day Pastor Deitering's cow no longer wanted to eat. The summoned scoundrels Kobes and Herm-Dirk – both cattle doctor and butcher – quickly attested that the cow should be slaughtered.
Pastor Deitering agreed; the meat should be given to the poor. But that is not what happened. The beef was shared between greedy citizens, meaning the poor were left with nothing.
When this scandal broke, a secret village poet set to work. The ribald verses were pinned to the doors of the mill, bridge and town hall by night, in order to let the village community know about this theft from the poor. The poem was set to music and the world famous ‘Lied van Pastor sine Koh’ was born.
Enking's mill was built in 1802 on the site of an earlier building that had fallen into disrepair, a raised wooden windmill, and has been owned by the family since the beginning of the last century.
The Enking family has been producing its pumpernickel in Emsbüren since 1928, famous throughout Emsland and Westphalia. The best locally-grown rye is milled in the 200-year-old mill and baked according to the traditional recipe, by adding pure water.
Following its renovation in 2002, the Dutch windmill was restored to its former glory. It was given back its gallery and sails and received a new ‘cap’, all of which had been severely damaged during a storm at the end of the 1920s and had to be removed.
By arrangement, the Enking family offers tours of its pumpernickel bakery with a tasting session and visit to the mill made of Bentheimer sandstone. You can then enjoy a house speciality, the ‘Pumpernickeltorte’, and cup of coffee in the rustic Mühlencafé.
There are more pre and early historic megalithic tombs in Emsland than perhaps anywhere else in Germany. The megalithic tombs are popularly referred to as giants' graves, on the assumption that giants dragged and erected these stones. There were over 30 in the immediate vicinity, only seven of which have escaped total destruction – even as ruins – including three here in the Mehringen district.
The Mehringen Stones were probably built around 2500 BC as a tribal grave. The three burial chambers were originally covered by a mound and surrounded by stone wreaths. The capping stones of the boulders that were used to create the three stone graves measure up to 3 m long, 2 m high and 1.5 m wide. They are among the largest boulders in the district.
The Reverend Liudger, first Bishop of Münster (died 809), was given a farm by Charlemagne, subsequently to become the town magistrate’s house, Richthof, which he used as a resting place when travelling from Münster to his missions along the Ems estuary, which is where he built the first church.
The statue of Reverend Liudger in Schüttorfer Straße was erected in 1935 and replaced in 1961 after being destroyed by vandals.
On Sunderhügel in Ahlde stand three stone crosses. They tell of a legend that is said to have taken place in years gone by.
The legend surrounding the stone crosses refers to a murder that was carried out by three robbers, whose plunder was to lead to their ruin.
During the years 1825–1828, a weir and lock were built in Listrup under river regulation measures to make the Ems navigable.
The previous wooden weir was replaced by stone walls in 1879–1881, which are still in service today. The skipper is also the lock master – the weir is operated by hand.
Conversion of the Ems weir into a textured ramp
The Listrup Ems weir was converted into a textured ramp in 2008 as part of the Life-Nature Project. The aim was to restore the natural river dynamics. It ensures the passage of fish and other aquatic animals at this point of the Ems.
The banks of the Ems were opened out to a length of 21.5 km, stone embankments removed and maintenance stopped or reduced to a minimum.
Despite these measures, pleasure boats can still navigate the Ems, but more room has been created for the river's natural development.
The ‘Hünenburg’ in the Berge district is a circular rampart whose age and former role cannot be accurately determined. It is believed that this rampart was built around 920 ad by Heinrich I and was intended to be used as a refuge in case of attack by hostile Hungarians.
It cannot be ruled out that a stronghold already existed here before the current rampart to protect against the Normans, whose predatory hordes also invaded our country.
A network of signposted paths creates a 4.5 km nature trail connecting parks, themed trails and natural habitats. At twelve locations, German and Dutch information boards invite visitors to observe and discover the local landscape and its ancient history.
Note: the signs are no longer currently available throughout the locality. The nature trail starts from the Heimathof museum.
To book a guided tour, please contact: VVV Emsbüren Touristik, tel. Tel. 05903/93 57 58
EmsfIower GmbH in Emsbüren, right next to the A30/A31 motorway intersection, is Europe's largest cultivator of bedding plants. The plant-growing area is 100 hectares, including 44 ha under glass. The ‘Erlebniswelt Emsflower’ visitor centre is open daily throughout the year from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
There is a charge for visiting the cactus and tropical garden, nursery and cut flower house, butterfly house, logistics and cultivation: admission for adults and young people is €8.50 per person – for children aged 7 to 14 and disabled visitors €4.50 per person – children under 7 are admitted for free.
You can enjoy the many attractions of Emsbüren flower world as an individual visitor, family or as part of a group. Specialist guided tours through the interactive park are available for groups.
During a tour of the visitor centre, you will be able to gain fascinating insights into areas where the professional cultivation of cut flowers and vegetables is demonstrated. Visitors will be enchanted by the various gardens, such as the tropical and cactus garden. You will also have an impressive view of the plant cultivation area from a height of 2.5 metres. A shop, 250-seat restaurant, patio with play area and large indoor play area (free admission) complete the range of services on offer.
An approximately 1.5-hour tour of the interactive park costs €8.50 per person for a group of up to 20 and €9.50 per person for a group of 21 people or more, plus a tour guide fee of €30. This offer includes the group admission fee of €8.50 per person.
For group enquiries and bookings, please contact VVV Emsbüren Touristik GmbH, tel. 05903/93 57 58
From thimbles to helmets. Germany's largest fancy dress shop has over 20,000 outfits and accessories for hire. The outfits range from traditional attire from all eras, through animal costumes and fantasy characters, to clothing from around the world, eveningwear and much more. Almost all the outfits are produced in the company's sewing room. A particular highlight is the collection of old hats.
Tel.: 05903 93470
Fax: 05903 934721
Opening times: Mon.–Fri.: 8.30 a.m.–6 p.m., Sat.: 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
For interested groups, Wolf offers guided tours through its fancy dress hire shop, followed by an optional coffee in its café.
Bookings taken by VVV Emsbüren Touristik on tel.: 05903/ 93 57 58
MehrLi, the cable Ems ferry, crosses the Ems between the districts of Mehringen and Listrup under the patronage of St Christopher. The ferry operates every Saturday between 1 May and 3 October, from 2 until 6 p.m., as well as on Sundays and Bank Holidays from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Outside of these times, groups of 10 people or more can request a ferry crossing by prior arrangement with VVV. The ferry can transport up to 10 people and 10 bikes. A trip on the ferry – which is hand-operated by volunteer ferrymen – is free.
Altenteil des Richthofes
The listed half-timbered house is one of the oldest buildings in Emsbüren. It dates back to 1708 and was used as the retained residence of the Emsbüren magistrate’s house, Richthof, until 1834. The Richthof was a principal residence of Liudger, the first Bishop of Münster.
It was subsequently acquired by the Witte family, ancestors of the Egbring family. It is still privately-owned (now by the Bußmann family). The Egbring family ran a restaurant in this building until 1960.
Following renovation work, the building was used as the ‘Haus Ludgeri’ social centre (day care centre) from 1992 to 2013.
In 2014 the half-timbered house was gutted and refurbished as a listed building. The beams' historic colour scheme was faithfully restored. The timberwork was visibly renewed, and the old Upkamer (room above the half-cellar with a low ceiling) also reinstated. The building now contains four apartments.
The farmers' townhouse dates back to the first half of the 19th century. From around 1910 part of it was used as stables. Later, the building housed a shoemaker's shop and millinery and needlework shop.
In 1952 ownership of the building passed to the parish. Since a major refurbishment in the 1990s, it has been used for the work of church associations.
The Emsbüren girls' school has stood on this site since the 17th century. In 1894 the boys' and girls' schools were merged, and a new school house built. Ownership of the former girls' school therefore passed to the parish, and it was used as an almshouse and later as a sexton house.
From 1992 to 2013 the ‘Haus Ludgeri’ social centre used some of its rooms.